The government has announced the largest flu immunization campaign in Ontario’s history.
The campaign is part of the province’s comprehensive plan to prepare the healthcare system for a second wave of COVID-19, entitled Keeping Ontarians Safe: Preparing for Future Waves of COVID-19.
The plan sets out a series of steps to prevent, identify, and respond to any outbreak scenario this fall and will:
- Maintain strong public health measures, including continued expansion of testing and case and contact management;
- Quickly identify, manage and prevent COVID-19 outbreaks;
- Accelerate efforts to reduce health service backlogs;
- Prepare for surges in COVID-19 cases;
- Recruit, retain, train and support health care workers, while also continuing to engage families and caregivers; and
- Implement the largest flu immunization campaign in Ontario’s history.
Given the size and complexity of the Keeping Ontarians Safe plan, the province will be releasing additional details this week.